Yield: 12 servings
Prep time: 10 minutes. Cook time: 30 minutes
I love breakfast. Therefore, I’m not one of those people – like my husband – who can skip it (without turning into my hangry alter-ego). Regardless of how much I enjoy it, breakfast can be tricky…especially on the weekdays when there’s limited time in the morning. Enter these egg muffins – they’re delicious, versatile, and easy to make ahead (and freeze), so you can quickly heat them up as needed. Feel free to swap out my ingredients with something else: omit the onion, add some mushrooms, swap bacon for sausage…you get the idea. Great for adults and kids alike, these are one of my favorite breakfast items.
- ½ pound chicken or turkey sausage
- 12 eggs
- ½ cup chopped onion
- ½ cup chopped bell pepper
- 2 cups chopped baby spinach
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese (omit for dairy free)
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease a 12-cup muffin tin with avocado or coconut oil cooking spray.
- In large bowl, beat the eggs with salt, pepper, garlic powder and paprika. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain excess oil and transfer to plate to allow it to cool.
- In the same skillet, add the onion and bell pepper. Cook until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add the spinach and cook until wilted, about 2 minutes.
- Add the vegetable mixture to the sausage to allow it to cool slightly. Then add it to the eggs and gently mix.
- Stir in the cheese.
- Spoon by 1/3 cupfuls into muffin tin. Bake 25-30 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Top with hot sauce, avocado and/or chopped parsley/cilantro if desired!
- Freeze option: Cool baked egg muffins. Place on waxed paper-lined baking sheets and freeze until firm. Transfer to resealable plastic freezer bags; return to freezer. To use, place on greased sheet pan, cover loosely with foil and reheat in a preheated 350° oven until heated through. Or, microwave each muffin on high 30-60 seconds or until heated through.